Received a new fancy Raspberry Pi 4 from a friend. This made my Home Assistant instance very jealous and requested to be upgraded/migrated to the new Pi (from an older Pi 3).
Internet made me clear that I could not just move the SD card between the devices since it is diffrent images between diffrent hardware.
I didn’t find any good migration guide that I thought was easy enough so I decided to write my own guide from this experience.
- Create and download a Full snapshot from the old device’s webgui (Supervisor > Snapshots)
- Power of the old device
- Download the Home Assistant image for your device
- Write the image to your SD card (
dd if=/hassos.img of=/dev/SDCARD)
- Mount the SD card (require a system which can read and write EXT4)
- Copy the snapshot from your Downloads folder to the folder
/supervisor/backuplocated in the partition called
- Boot up the new device and follow the setup wizard (you can give it foobar since it will be overwritten in the next step)
- Use your snapshot to Wipe and restore Home Assisant through the webgui (Supervisor > Snapshots)
- Enjoy your old Home Assistant on your new hardware!
For a more seamless experience you might consider updating your DHCP records between step 2 and 7 so that the new device receives the same IP adress as the old device.